quarta-feira, 1 de outubro de 2008

Go China, Go!

I left the airplane and after a three-minute walk, I was facing a train. And now, am I supposed to take this? Where am I supposed to go? Let's try it and see. Beijing airport is the biggest in the world. From the terminals to the main building, a pair of legs or even a bike are not enough.
Right, now it's time to fight for my bags. Waiting and waiting and still nothing. Far away I saw a little chinese girl holding a piece of paper. My name was on it and it said my luggage was still in London. Who could I have blamed? Doesn't matter anymore, especially because the company that I flew gave me thirty five pounds as compensation.
Where can I find a Taxi? Do you speak English... I repeated this question a thousand times in Beijing and I rarely found someone that actually could speak it. A big problem for a country that in less than four months was going to host the Olympics. In spite of the fact that every school has English classes for all grades, chinese people are still reluctant when it comes to different cultures. There are around forty thousand taxis in Beijing and it was not difficult to find one outside the airport. I tried to say where I wanted to go but it didn't work. I had to show the driver my notebook and some chinese characters. Ok, ok, said the driver but I didn't understand. Where am I going to? Let's hope for the best, you don't have any choice.
I stayed for three days in a friend's house, than I moved to an apartment, sharing with another three chinese guys. Because of the Olympics, real estate in Beijing was going much faster than my bank account. In fact, of course, It's much cheaper than London.
On the third day living at this place, the police came. Can I see your passaport? Just a second, Sir. Where is your residence permit? Excuse me? Foreigners that want to live in private residences in China have to go to the police office with the landlord and fill in an application form. The chinese society is highly regulated by the government, especially foreigners and their new ideas and ways of life. A lot of people were speculating about another chapter for China because of the Olympics but it's a trick point. In Asia, the Chinese Government is one of the most acclaimed by it's population. Tibet and other rebel provinces are just minor details for the giant China.
LIving in China is not a easy task. Everything has been changing so fast: new roads, underground lines, markets and all different kinds of facilities. I felt that I was in a big plant, breathing smoke and dancing on the sidewalks, trying not to crash into anyone. Let's enjoy the games. Go China, go!

Um comentário:

Núbia Lima disse...

Enfrentar novas realidades acaba nos fazendo enfrentar coisas que dão dor de cabeça, como burocracia. Então temos que respirar fundo e contar até 10... Haja paciência, né não? Mas no final sempre dá certo ;)

Miss you!!!!!!